Frequent disconnects, poor audio and/or video
We want to help you maintain a quality connection, always. If you’re seeing frequent disconnections in your live video stream or Night summaries, there are a few things you can try below to ensure you're getting the best connection every time:
- Update the Nanit app
- Close and relaunch the Nanit app
- Check Nanit’s network level
- Move your router closer to Nanit/Move Nanit closer to your router
- Make sure your Wi-Fi network is available and working
- Switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz
- Check your Wi-Fi bandwidth
Improve your Nanit's connection >
Switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz
Nanit has a unique hardware design that in some cases may provide better performance when connected to a specific frequency.
Which band should I choose?
- Original Nanit camera - Use the 2.4GHz band for better performance. Make sure your phone is paired to your 2.4 GHz network before starting the pairing process.
- Nanit Plus and Pro camera - Use the 5GHz band for best performance. Make sure your phone is paired to your 5GHz network before starting the pairing process.
Some common indicators that you may need to switch Nanit’s Wi-Fi connection to 2.4GHz or 5GHz are as follows:
- Audio Feedback
- Frequent and random disconnects
- Long video stream loading times/failure to refresh
- Low bandwidth indicated
Some models of wireless routers combine the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies under a single network name (SSID). Most modern routers support dual-band routing, which means they broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Depending on where your Nanit is located, one network may offer a more dependable connection over the other. If you have both networks available, try switching between them to see if this improves Nanit’s connection.
Switch between 2.4GHz and 5GHz >
If you are experiencing latency, frequent disconnections, high data usage or buffering in your live video stream, we highly recommend adjusting Nanit’s bandwidth usage by following these steps:
1. Open your Nanit app
2. Tap on the side menu
3. Choose your baby's settings
4. Tap 'Network''
5. Move the bandwidth usage selector to “Low"
Changing this setting will reduce the picture quality of your video stream, however, it will help with the network issues and should lead to an overall better experience with video streaming.
About maintaining a quality connection in your home
Controlling which frequency Nanit connects to can be arduous. It’s best to become familiar with your router’s capabilities by reviewing the user guide. This will help you configure your router to split the two frequencies with a unique network name (SSID) for each frequency.
Keep in mind that the position of Nanit to your router is important as well. It’s highly recommended that you position Nanit on the same level as your Wi-Fi router and within 20’.
Move your router closer to Nanit/Move Nanit closer to your router >